Biotechnology is a highly multi-disciplinary and fastest growing discipline, and past two decades have witnessed a “Biotechnology Boom” worldwide in the form of development of a wide range of new products including antibiotics, recombinant and synthetic vaccines monoclonal antibodies, microbial proteins, recombinant hormones, production of valuable transgenic and cloned animals. The mixmal exploitation of biotechnology devices through these modern technologies is the only potential tool to maximize the livestock and agricultural production of the state in the shortest possible time.
Looking to the tremendous potential of biotechnology for improving the socio-economic status of farmers, tribals and other weaker sections of society, Madhya Pradesh State Government had sanctioned a product on “Establishment of Biotechnology Centre” at JNKVV, Jabalpur, funded by Madhya Pradesh State Agriculture Cooperative in the year 2003.
Although the centre was established as a common centre for Agriculture as well as Veterinary biotechnology human resource generation, research and development, however, after the creation of separate Veterinary University on September 2009, the Animal Biotechnology Division of the combined Centre was included under the new Veterinary University, which was later named as “Nanaji Deshmukh Veterinary Science University”. This has provided an opportunity for the new centre to work with independent thinking for the fast progress of livestock improvement of the state using modern biotechnological approaches.
Exploitation of modern biotechnological technologies for maximizing livestock productivity for improving the socio-economic status of the small farmers and weaker sections of society in Madhya Pradesh.
- To develop human resource in the field of Animal Biotechnology.
- To conduct research in through areas of Animal Biotechnology.
- To create public awareness regarding biotechnological innovations through extension programmes
- Human resource development in Animal Biotechnology.
- Characterization and conservation of livestock and Bio-diversity using reproductive and molecular techniques.
- Development of transgenic animals for value addition in animal products.
- Diagnosis of animal diseases and production of vaccines/drugs using in vitro and molecular techniques.
- Embryo biotechnology for livestock improvement and germplasm conservation through, in vitro fertilization, embryo transfer technology, cloning, transgenesis and stem cell technology.
Directory of Faculties
Dr. A. P. Singh
I/c Director, Animal Biotechnology Centre
JNKVV Campus, Adhartal,
Jabalpur– 482 004 (M.P.)